Posted on May 15, 2023
Clearing the Path to Smooth Skin: Professional Acne Scarring Treatments and Self-Care Tips
Acne scars can be frustrating, and they can take a toll on your self-esteem. Fortunately, there are several options available to improve the appearance of acne scars. Let’s explore the different acne dermatologist Parker CO treatments available, and a few self-care tips to minimize the risk of scarring.
- Chemical Peels. A chemical peel is a treatment that uses chemicals to remove the outermost layer of the skin, revealing smoother skin underneath. Chemical peels can help reduce the appearance of mild to moderate acne scars.
- Microneedling. This treatment involves using a device that creates tiny punctures in the skin to promote collagen production. Collagen helps to improve the appearance of acne scars by filling in the indentations in the skin.
- Laser Treatment. Laser treatment uses high-intensity light to remove the damaged layer of skin. The treatment promotes collagen production and reduces the appearance of acne scars.
- Steroid injections. They involve injecting a small amount of corticosteroid directly into the scar tissue. This can help reduce inflammation and flatten out the scar, making it less noticeable.
- Don’t pick at your skin. Picking at acne can lead to scarring and take acne longer to clear.
- Use sunscreen outdoors. Sun exposure can make acne scars more noticeable. Protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays by wearing sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Use gentle skin care products. Harsh skin care products can irritate your skin and make acne scars more noticeable. Choose gentle products that won’t irritate your skin.
- Keep your skin hydrated. Keeping your skin hydrated can help reduce the appearance of acne scars. Use a moisturizer suited for your skin type.
If you have acne scars, consider talking to a dermatologist about your options for treatment and self-care of your skin.
For more information, visit Elevated Dermatology and the American Academy of Dermatology.