As any local dermatologist in Centennial, CO can confirm, Mohs surgery (also known as Mohs micrographic surgery) is one of the best and most practical treatments for skin cancer available right now. This surgical treatment involves the removal, in layers, of skin tissue affected by the cancer, and the examination of the skin cells under a microscope to determine if the cancer was fully removed or not.
The Most Important Benefits of Mohs Surgery
Mohs has a remarkably high cure rate. In fact, its precision is known to yield rates of success of up to 99%. Other benefits of the procedure also include the following:
- Because the skin cells are examined under a microscope, more healthy skin is able to be spared, leaving a better cosmetic outcome.
- Patients are given local anesthesia and do not need to fast prior to their procedure.
- The treatment is straightforward in most cases, especially when the disease was detected early.
- For most people, Mohs surgery is completed in one day. After the skin cancer is removed, the wound will be closed, the area bandaged and allowed to heal.
- Most people are able to control their pain after the procedure with over-the-counter pain medication like Acetaminophen (Tylenol).
When Is Mohs Surgery Used?
Mohs is recommended when you’ve been diagnosed with common skin cancers such as BCC (Basal cell carcinoma) or SCC (Squamous cell carcinoma) in areas with little extra skin, like the face, ears, scalp, fingers and toes. It may also be recommended for other areas of the body at the recommendation of a dermatologist Centennial CO hosts.
Even in the case of Melanoma, which is the most dangerous form of skin cancer, Mohs surgery can still be effective. In such a case, a modified version of Mohs is used, known as slow Mohs. The surgeon will remove the affected areas and a thin margin of the skin until the Melanoma is fully removed; this can take a few appointments depending on the size and location of the Melanoma.
Experts performing Mohs surgery in Centennial and the surrounding areas have an exceptional track record of getting good results. If you were diagnosed with skin cancer, it’s a good idea to head to the best dermatology clinic in the area to talk about your options involving possible Mohs surgery.